New Title IX Regulations

Dear students, faculty, and staff,

On May 6 the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights issued new regulations mandating how the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and all other colleges and universities address cases under Title IX, a federal statute that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program and activity.

The regulations were proposed in 2018 and received more than 124,000 public comments during the notice and comment period. The final rule is 2,033 pages long and will become effective on August 14.

We have closely followed the development of the proposed regulation, but there are significant and meaningful changes to the final rule. We are in the process of reviewing the document, and as we move through this process I want to hear your questions, concerns, and feedback.

Starting in June, I will host lunchtime office hours to hear from you. Before the August 14 effective date, we will also host a virtual town hall to introduce our updated policy and procedures. This presentation will include an opportunity for public questions and answers.

We established our Title IX model in 2017, and it remains our commitment to the campus community today. I encourage you to review our 2019 Annual Report for information on the office and our work.

While the landscape of Title IX is changing, I want to assure you that the university will continue to prioritize you and your safety with holistic support, reporting options, and coordinated prevention efforts.

As always, we remain available to you. I encourage you to email me directly at ashleyblamey@utk.edu or visit titleix.utk.edu for more information.

You remain part of the solution, and I look forward to our continued work together.

Ashley Blamey
Title IX Coordinator