Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue
Exit Site

Get Help

Your first step is to get to a safe place.

Once you are in a safe place, talk to someone you trust about the incident. If you don’t know what to say or what you need, saying, “I need help” is enough.

How to ask for help

Talk to a Trusted Friend/Family Member. Remind yourself that if a friend/ family member were in your position, you would be more than willing to help.

Talk to a Confidential Advocate. An advocate is a 24/7 confidential resource who works for the Sexual Assault Center of East Tennessee (SACET) and can be reached by calling (865) 522-7273. The Center has Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners available at all times to provide forensic nursing to sexual assault crime victims. In addition, the Center offers education and therapy services.

Talk to the Office of Title IX. The amount of information you share is always your choice. We can assist with medical care, counseling services, academic resources, and help think through the best next steps with you.

Remember, there are multiple support resources you can reach out to for assistance with making a decision about whether to:

  • seek medical attention,
  • report to law enforcement, and/or
  • file a formal complaint with the university.